Job Posting – Crossing GuardAugust 28th, 2020
The Town of Grand Bay-Westfield wants to ensure our children arrive at school safely. To achieve that goal a Crossing Guard is needed for the crosswalk at Pamdenec Road and River Valley Drive. As the new Crossing Guard, you will be able to safely escort Kindergarten to High School students across the road. You will teach children how understand traffic and how they can move safely on the road. You will also remind motorists of local laws and regulations in the school zone.
This is a casual position with a shift before and after school. The Crossing Guard is expected to help the students every school day regardless of the weather, subject to school cancellations.
The Crossing Guard’s job responsibilities, fulfilled in a friendly and outgoing manner, include:
- Assist students and pedestrians across River Valley Drive after assessing traffic flow to identify breaks to allow for visibility and safe crossing.
- Guide motorists through traffic patterns designed to keep students and pedestrians safe.
- Understand the traffic laws, signs and speed limits posted within to effectively guide vehicles and people.
- Communicate crossing rules and regulations to students to enhance their understanding of traffic safety wherever they may go.
- Employ the appropriate tools and equipment, such as a sign paddle, lights, flags, and hand signals.
- Identify drivers who are speeding or driving carelessly and notify authorities by documenting their license plate number.
- Vigilantly watch for impending dangers to develop effective solutions before an accident occurs.
- Report the unsafe behavior of students to the Town.
- Hours of Work, Monday to Friday:
- Morning 7:45 am to 8:30 am. and Afternoon 2:15 pm to 3:15 pm. and paid 5 hours per day @$12/hr
Job Skills & Qualifications
The preferred candidate will have:
- High school diploma or equivalent degree.
- A friendly manner that children appreciate.
- Social perceptiveness and strong eyesight.
- Keen understanding of local traffic laws and regulations.
- Familiarity with directing traffic using tools such as a sign paddle and hand signals.
- Physical stamina including able to work in inclement weather of various types encountered during the school year, fall, winter, spring, and summer.
Selected candidate will be required to submit a criminal records check prior to being engaged.
Questions are to be directed to Bruce Gault before September 4, 2020.
Please submit your resume at the Town Office or email: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 4, 2020.