By-law No. 7
The Council of the Municipality of Grand Bay-Westfield under authority vested in it by Section 11 of the Municipalities Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c.M-22 and amendments thereto enacts as follows:
(a) the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield provides police protection and fire protection and other services to its residents; and
(b) it is important that buildings and properties be properly identified by civic numbers in order to provide such services;
the Council of the Municipality of Grand Bay-Westfield enacts the following by-law.
2. This by-law may be cited as the Civic Numbering By-law.
3. In this by-law,
(a) “building” includes any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy;
(b) “civic number” means the number assigned to the property or building by the Development Officer;
(c) “Development Officer” means the Development Officer of the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield;
(d) “property” includes any parcel of land whether occupied or vacant;
(e) “owner” means the person or persons identified as acquiring title in fee simple to a property in the document which purports to convey such interest and was most recently registered in the Kings County Registry Office
(f) “roadway” means that portion of the street improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic;
(g) “street” includes a highway, road, lane, alley, park, or parking lot, whether public or private;
(h) “Town” means the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield
ASSIGNING CIVIC NUMBERS
4. The Development Officer is responsible for assigning civic numbers to properties and buildings fronting upon or abutting a street. The Town shall keep a record of the civic numbers which have been assigned.
5. A civic number which is displayed on a building or property on the date of the enactment of this by-law shall continue to be its civic number until such time as the Development Officer may by written notice direct otherwise.
6. Civic numbers previously assigned by the Town of Grand Bay and the Village of Westfield are valid for the purpose of this by-law unless directed otherwise by the Development Officer
DISPLAYING CIVIC NUMBERS
7. The owner of a property on which a building is located shall display on the property the civic number(s) of the building in the manner provided herein.
8. An owner shall not display nor permit to be displayed upon his/her property any number which is not a civic number. The Development Officer may by written notice require an owner to remove from his/her property any number which is displayed thereon which is not its civic number, and the owner shall comply with such notice within 7 days of receiving it.
9(1). Subject to subsections 9(2) and 9(3), any civic number shall be displayed upon a property in the following manner:
(a) it shall be in Arabic numerals;
(b) the bottom of each numeral shall be at least 1.2 metres (48 inches) above the ground;
(c) the colour of each numeral shall clearly contrast with the colour of the building, post, or sign on which it is displayed;
(d) it shall be displayed upon the building, post, or sign in such a location that it faces toward and is clearly visible from the roadway of the street from which it is numbered;
(e) it shall be not less than 65 millimetres (2.5 inches) in height if located on a building which is within 15 metres (49.2 feet) of the roadway;
(f) it shall be not less than 100 millimetres (4 inches) in height if located on a building which is 15 metres (49.2 feet) or more from the roadway.
9(2). A civic number shall be displayed on a sign or post if it cannot be easily read as determined by the Development Officer when displayed on the building from the roadway from which the building is numbered. The sign or post shall be located on the property within 5 metres (16.4 feet) of the boundary between the property and the street, and the numerals shall face toward and be clearly visible from the roadway from which it is numbered.
9(3). The Development Officer may in writing require an owner to place a civic number on a sign or post located on the property adjacent to the entrance of a driveway which provides emergency vehicle access to a building.
FAILURE TO COMPLY
10. A person who violates or fails to comply with any provision of this by-law is guilty of an offense and is liable on conviction to a fine as set out in the Fee By-law.
11. Court proceedings with respect to a breach of this by-law may be commenced by either the Development Officer or the Building Inspector.
12. This by-law comes into effect on the date of filing in the Registry Office.
13. By-law No. 190, Town of Grand Bay Civic Numbering By-law is hereby repealed.
14. By-law No. 80, Village of Westfield By-law Respecting Civic Numbers for Buildings and Properties is hereby repealed.
FIRST READING BY TITLE on this 9th day of February , 1998.
SECOND READING BY TITLE on this 9th day of February , 1998.
THIRD READING AND ENACTMENT on this 23rd day of February , 1998.
Sandra Gautreau – Manager (Clerk)
Grace Losier – Mayor