PAC Minutes – August 4, 1998
The regular meeting of the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield Planning Advisory Committee was held Tuesday, August 4, 1998 at 7:00 p.m. in Room “A”. Chairman, Larry Chapman called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
1. RECORD OF ATTENDANCE
All members were present with the exception of Jonathan Sabean.
2. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD P.A.C. MINUTES OF JULY 20, 1998
It was moved by Philip Kelly and seconded by Deputy Mayor Black to accept as presented the July 20, 1998 Grand Bay-Westfield P.A.C. Minutes.
3. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD COUNCIL MINUTES OF JUNE 22, 1998
It was moved by Ralph Stevens and seconded by James Evans to receive and file the June 22, 1998 Grand Bay-Westfield Council Minutes.
4. CHAIRMAN’S REMARKS
Chairman, Larry Chapman handed out an addition to Item No. 7.
5. DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST
No conflict of interest declared.
6. ITEM TABLED JULY 20, 1998 RE: REZONING APPLICATION RONALD B. BARRY – 1 MURRAY STREET
A discussion was held in Closed Session regarding the above Application for Rezoning. Ronald Barry and Surveyor, Ed DeSaulniers were present during the Open Session. Mr. DeSaulniers presented the following two Plans to the Committee:
1. Tentative Subdivision Plan dated August 4, 1998 Ronald B. Barry Subdivision Lots 98-1, 98-2 and 98-3, 1 Murray Street & River Valley Drive
2. Rezoning Request dated August 4, 1998 Ronald B. Barry Property – Wasson Lane
Mr. Barry informed the Committee that he is in agreement with the recommendations made in the Development Officer’s Report of June 29, 1998.
It was moved by Deputy Mayor Black that P.A.C. recommend Council approve Rezoning Request, Ronald B. Barry Property, Wasson Lane, Plan dated August 4, 1998 and grant Tentative Approval, Ronald B. Barry Subdivision, Lots 98-1, 98-2 and 98-3, 1 Murray Street and River Valley Drive, Plan dated August 4, 1998, as per the Development Officer’s Recommendations in his Report dated June 29, 1998, referencing Plan dated June 15, 1998 as follows:
1. Recommend that Council redesignate on Schedule A, General Land Use Map of the Municipal Plan from Commercial to Low Density Residential, a parcel of land located on Wasson Lane, having a frontage of 45.38 metres on Wasson Lane and a frontage of 49.91 metres on an existing right-of-way, with a total area of 1573 sq. metres, being the western portion of property NBGIC # 00221259.
2. Recommend that Council rezone the same parcel of land referenced in Item #1 from Central Commercial to R-2, Single and Two Family Residential;
and subject to the successful completion of Item #1 and #2, the subdivision of the parcel of land is approved as follows:
3. grant variances to permit a lot width of 22.86 metres for Lot 98-4 and lot width of 20 metres for Lot 98-3;
4. recommend that Council accept $600 as money in lieu of land for public purposes with respect to the creation of Lots 98-3 and 98-4;
5. denies the Subdivision of the eastern portion of the property to create Lots 98-1 and 98-2 until a proposal for the development of the land has been submitted so that proper consideration may be given to development feasibility.
6. Grant Tentative Approval of the Subdivision to create Lot 98-3 and 98-4 subject to:
a. successful completion of Items 1 and 2 above;
b. the boundary line to be adjusted between Lot 98-3 and 98-4 to create a more even division of the land.
Motion seconded by Mel Steffens. Carried.
7. ITEM TABLED JULY 20, 1998 MEETING RE: APPLICATION FOR HOME OCCUPATION JEANNIE MCQUADE – 16 BRANDY CRESCENT
A discussion was held in Closed Session. One letter was received from a neighbour in favor of the Home Occupation made by Jeannie McQuade. Mrs. McQuade was present during the Open Session of the meeting.
It was moved by James Evans that P.A.C. approve the Home Occupation Application made by Jeannie McQuade, 16 Brandy Crescent to operate a sewing business, subject to the sign must conform to the Sign By-law. Motion seconded by Ralph Stevens. Carried.
8. ITEM TABLED JULY 20, 1998 MEETING RE: REQUEST FOR VARIANCE WILLIAM COURT – 33 SUNNY SIDE DRIVE
(A) REPORT FROM IRVIN T. BRUHIER DATED JULY 21, 1998
A lengthy discussion was held in Closed Session regarding Request for Variance made by William Court for an oversize garage, 40 ft s 40 ft, 21 ft high. No correspondence was received from the surrounding neighbours.
The Committee had the following concerns:
- granting a variance 100% over the allowable limit stated in the By-law;
- terms and conditions be attached to prevent a possible future owner of the property from utilizing the oversize garage for commercial purposes;
- the placement of only an accessory building on another lot.
Mr. Court was present during the Open Session for discussion. He informed the Committee that he has four lots, his house is on one and he wishes to erect the oversize garage on another lot in order to store his 35 ft. R.V. and four other vehicles. The Chairman informed Mr. Court of the Committee’s concerns and asked if he would go along with terms and conditions, and also if he would consider consolidating his lots. Mr. Court stated that he did not have a problem with any terms and conditions and that he hadn’t considered consolidating, but would be in agreement to doing so.
It was moved by Philip Kelly to Table this item to the next meeting for more information from Staff regarding Terms and Conditions, and that Mr. Court look into the possibility of consolidating his lots to one or more lot.
Motion seconded by Ralph Stevens. Carried.
Mr. Court was invited to attend the next P.A.C. meeting to be held Monday, August 17, 1998 when the matter will once again be addressed.
9. REPORT FROM IRVIN T. BRUHIER DATED JULY 21, 1998 RE: P.A.C. RULES OF PROCEDURE – IV NOTICE
(B) HOME OCCUPATIONS
The Chairman advised the Committee that upon further conversation with Mr. Bruhier following the last meeting, the misunderstanding was cleared up, in that all the Committee requires is an amendment to P.A.C. Rules of Procedure regarding Notices, and that all Applicants will receive an information package pertaining only to their particular application.
It was moved by Mel Steffens that this item be Tabled and request that Mr. Bruhier continue with the selected topics not yet completed and prepare a Draft, to be brought back to the Committee upon completion of all topics. Motion seconded by James Evans. Carried.
10. FOR INFORMATION RE: LETTER RECEIVED FROM PROVINCIAL PLANNING APPEAL BOARD DATED JULY 23, 1998 PROVINCIAL PLANNING APPEAL BOARD ELIZABETH ROACH/STEPHEN WILLIAMS
Following a discussion, it was moved by Ralph Stevens and seconded by Deputy Mayor Black to receive and file the above information.
Phillip Kelly moved adjournment at 9:00 p.m.
Laylia Nice, Larry Chapman,