PAC Minutes – December 3, 2001
The regular meeting of the Grand Bay-Westfield Planning Advisory Committee was held Monday, December 3, 2001 in Room “A”, 609 River Valley Drive. Chairman, Larry Chapman conducted the meeting and called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.
1. RECORD OF ATTENDANCE
All Members were present.
Works Commissioner, Bruce Gault filled in for Development Officer, David Taylor who is away for a few days.
2. PLANNING ADVISORY COMMITTEE MINUTES OF NOVEMBER 19, 2001
“…moved by Michael Hare to accept as presented the November 19, 2001 Planning Advisory Committee Minutes….”
Motion seconded by Bill McCann. Carried.
3. REGULAR COUNCIL MINUTES OF NOVEMBER 13, 2001
“….moved by Ralph Stevens to receive and file the November 13, 2001 Regular Council Minutes….”
Motion seconded by Bill McCann. Carried.
4. CHAIRMAN’S REMARKS
Chairman, Larry Chapman remarked on the following:
- A reminder to the Committee of the upcoming Town’s Christmas Gathering on Wednesday, December 5th between 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.
- Congratulations were extended to Mel Steffens and James Evans on their reappointment to the Committee for a two year term, along with new member Tony Ratchford for a one year term.
- It was noted that Bill McCann has one more meeting left to attend as a P.A.C. Member. He was commended for his contribution and dedicated service while on the Committee. It was unanimous that he will be missed.
5. DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST
6. DEVELOPMENT OFFICER’S REPORT OF NOVEMBER 26, 2001 RE: APPLICATION FOR SIMILAR & COMPATIBLE USE BLAINE BEDDOW – 733 RIVER VALLEY DRIVE
A Closed Session discussion was held regarding the above Application for a Similar and Compatible Use to operate a Tattoo Shop and Graphic Design Studio.
The Committee reviewed Section 37 of the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield Zoning By-law No. 16, Division 1 on Permitted Uses and determined that a Tattoo Shop fell under Subsection (viii) – a retail store or service shop.
A copy of Health Canada Guidelines for Infection Control was on hand for reference.
Applicant, Blaine Beddow and friend, Angel were present during the Open Session. Mr. Beddow advised the Committee of the following:
- He was ready to open his shop when he was advised that needed to make Application, and subsequently shut his doors until he did so;
- a license is not required by law to operate a Tattoo Shop;
- customers must be 18 years of age and proof of I.D. is required;
- Consent Forms are filled out for each customer (copies of which were circulated for the Committee Members to view);
- no loitering will be allowed in and around his shop;
- he has been in this type of business for almost 9 years and has had two shops in Saint John;
- he stressed that he is very conciencious of the importance of sterilization;
- he will contact the Department of Health to inspect his shop prior to his opening (not mandatory);
- he advised that he has surveyed people in the area and has received positive comments (book of comments passed around for the Members to view);
- all the tattooing and lettering is to be done at his shop;
- all air brushing is to done at his brother’s garage in Acamac and not in his shop.
Present in favor of this Application was Donna Nason, who advised the Committee of the following:
- She is the owner of the building;
- the Tattoo Shop will definitely not be a hang out;
- the RCMP have already been notified.
One other person was present to give moral support to the Applicant.
There were no further presentations made against this Proposal.
The following motion was then made:
“…moved by Ralph Stevens that the Planning Advisory Committee considers a Tattoo Shop and Graphic Arts Studio on property located at 733 River Valley Drive, PID No. 00088880 to be a use similar and compatible to other permitted uses under Section (viii) retail store or service shop, as identified in the Town’s Zoning By-law, By-law No. 16, Division 1, Section 37, subject to:
a) conditions of the Infection Control Guidelines established by Health Canada for Infection Prevention adopted by the Provincial Department of Health and Wellness be applied to the operation of the said shop and recommend that the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield notify the Department of Health on Application for the Tattoo Shop….”
Motion seconded by Mel Steffens. Carried.
Ralph Stevens moved to adjourn at 8:00 p.m.
Laylia Nice, Larry Chapman,
P.A.C. Secretary P.A.C. Chairman