PAC Minutes – June 1, 1998
The regular meeting of the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield Planning Advisory Committee was held Monday, June 1, 1998 at 7:00 p.m. in Room “A”. Chairman, Larry Chapman called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m.
1. RECORD OF ATTENDANCE
Members absent were Deputy Mayor Black and Jonathan Sabean.
2. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD P.A.C. MINUTES OF MAY 19/98
It was moved by Ralph Stevens and seconded by James Evans to accept as presented the May 19/98 Grand Bay-Westfield P.A.C. Minutes.
3. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD COUNCIL MINUTES OF MAY 11/98
It was moved by Mel Steffens and seconded by Phillip Kelly to receive and file the May 11/98 Grand Bay-Westfield Council Minutes.
4. CHAIRMAN’S REMARKS
Cllr. Jack Keir was welcomed as Council Liaison in the absence of Deputy Mayor Black. It was noted that Deputy Mayor Black provided the Committee with a small report and a motion on each item on the agenda.
5. DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST
No conflict declared.
6. ITEM TABLED MAY 19, 1998 MEETING RE: APPLICATION FOR REZONING BRIAN JOHNSTON – 22 THOMPSON ROAD
(A) REPORT FROM IRVIN T. BRUHIER DATED MAY 20/98
A discussion was held in Closed Session regarding the above Application for Rezoning By-law Amendment made by Brian Johnston to rezone property at 22 Thompson Road from Single Family Zoning to Multiple Family Zoning to allow a single family home plus an apartment in a detached garage, on the same property.
It was moved by Ralph Stevens that P.A.C. recommend Council deny the Rezoning Application made by Brian Johnston, 22 Thompson Road. Motion seconded by James Evans. Carried.
7. REQUEST FOR VARIANCE RE: LORNE CAYEA – 2 FIRST STREET
A discussion was held in Closed Session regarding the above Variance Request for the placement of a storage shed two (2) feet from the two adjoining neighbour’s property lines. The Committee was in receipt of a letter from neighbour Roy Aylward of 3 First Street, stating objection to the Proposal.
Mrs. Cayea was present during the Open Session and handed to the Chairman, a letter from neighbour Lloyd McNutt of 7 Kenwood Road stating no objection regarding the variance request. Mrs. Cayea was given a copy of Mr. Alyward’s letter for her perusal.
It was moved by Phillip Kelly that P.A.C. grant a Variance of three (3) feet to Lorne Cayea, 2 First Street for the placement of a storage shed two (2) feet from the adjoining property lines, pursuant to Zoning By-law No. 150. Motion seconded by Mel Steffens. Carried.
8. ITEM TABLED MAY 19, 1998 MEETING RE:APPLICATION FOR SUBDIVISION APPROVAL/VARIANCE TENTATIVE SUBDIVISION PLAN DATED MAY 6, 1998 PHILIP HAMM & JEFFREY COLE SUBDIVISION LOT 98-1 AND PARCEL “A” – ROUND LAKE ROAD
A Closed Session discussion was held regarding the above Application for Subdivision Approval/Variance to create Lot 98-1 and Parcel “A”.
Present for the Open Session were Applicant Philip Hamm and Gordon McKenzie, perspective home builder on Lot 98-1. A copy of Mr. Bruhier’s Report was given to the above parties involved for their review. The Development Officer advised that this item did not have to go to Council for approval but only for information, due to the fact there is no Land for Public Purposes involved.
It was moved by Mel Stefffens that P.A.C. approve the creation of Lot 98-1 and Parcel “A” of Tentative Subdivision Plan dated May 6, 1998 Re: Philip Hamm & Jeffrey Cole Subdivision, Lot 98-1 and Parcel “A”, Round Lake Road, subject to the following:
1. Parcel “A” to be consolidated with the Jeffrey Cole property;
2. Lot 98-1 be labeled as not being a building lot until approved by Council and complying with the Subdivision By-law;
3. The Variance Request by Gordon McKenzie be denied, as the lot is not an approved building lot at this time.
Motion seconded by Phillip Kelly. Carried.
9. ITEM TABLED MAY 19, 1998 MEETING RE: REQUEST FOR VARIANCE KEN THOMPSON – 26 BRANDY POINT ROAD
A Closed Session discussion was held on the above Request for Variance for the construction of an over sized accessory building (proposed 840 square feet) to be used as a garage and storage. Mr. Thompson was present during the Open Session.
It was moved by James Evans that P.A.C. grant a Variance of 195 square feet to Ken Thompson, 26 Brandy Point Road for the construction of an over sized garage, pursuant to Zoning By-law No. 150. Motion seconded by Ralph Stevens. Carried.
10. OPERATION PERMIT RENEWAL (1998) RE: KEEL CONSTRUCTION LTD.
A discussion was held in Closed Session. The Development Officer informed the Committee that he is not in receipt of a Rehabilitation Plan from Keel Construction as yet. He advised that subsequent to P.A.C.’s memo to Council, he had issued a Stop Work Order and was then contacted by a lawyer representing Keel Construction, who advised him that the Rehabilitation Plan would be forthcoming, at which time, the Development Officer rescinded the Stop Work Order. The Development Officer did have on hand a Compiled Plan of Existing Pit Area dated May 15, 1998 which he received from Keel Construction.
Peter and Paul Hobart of Keel Construction were not in attendance for the Open Session.
It was moved by Phillip Kelly that P.A.C. recommend Council grant an Operation Permit for 1998 to Keel Construction Ltd. subject to the following:
- Keel Construction Ltd. submit to P.A.C a Rehabilitation Plan within 30 days (i.e. July 1, 1998);
- All deficiencies as defined by the Building Inspector be corrected by calendar year end 1998.
Motion seconded by James Evans with two Nay Votes. Carried.
The Development Officer also advised that Council will be dealing with all other issues involved with this matter.
11. ITEM FOR DISCUSSION RE: THE USE OF TRAILERS (45’) FOR DEAD STORAGE
The Chairman advised that perhaps this matter be addressed when Deputy Mayor was present. It was moved by Ralph Stevens and seconded by Phillip Kelly that this item be Tabled to the next meeting. Motion carried.
Ralph Stevens moved adjournment at 8:40 p.m.
Laylia Nice, Larry Chapman,