PAC Minutes – June 15, 1998
The regular meeting of the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield Planning Advisory Committee was held Monday, June 15, 1998 at 7:00 p.m. in Room “A”. Chairman, Larry Chapman called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m.
1. RECORD OF ATTENDANCE
All Members were present with the exception of Philip Kelly.
2. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD P.A.C. MINUTES OF JUNE 1/98
It was moved by James Evans and seconded by John Sabean to accept as presented the June 1/98 Grand Bay-Westfield P.A.C. Minutes.
3. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD COUNCIL MINUTES OF MAY 25/98
It was moved by Ralph Stevens and seconded by Deputy Mayor Black to receive and file the May 25/98 Grand Bay-Westfield Council Minutes.
4. CHAIRMAN’S REMARKS
The Chairman advised the Committee of an item to be added to the Agenda Re: Rezoning Request/Tentative Subdivision Plan dated June 15, 1998, Ronald B. Barry Subdivision, Lots 98-1, 98-2, 98-3 and 98-4, 1 Murray Street and River Valley Drive.
It was moved by Deputy Mayor Black and seconded by James Evans that the above item be added to the Agenda as Item No. 11.
5. DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST
Mel Steffens declared a conflict of interest on Item No. 5
6. ITEM TABLED JUNE 1, 1998 MEETING RE: ITEM FOR DISCUSSION USE OF TRAILERS (45’) FOR DEAD STORAGE
A discussion was held regarding a few properties in Town using two 45’ semi trailers for storage purposes. This matter was brought to the Committee’s attention in a report by Deputy Mayor Black dated June 1, 1998.
Deputy Mayor Black advised the Committee that there is nothing in the Town’s By-laws addressing the matter. He has contacted the Municipal Information Centre and was informed that they could not find any by-laws on record. Upon speaking with the Building Inspector for the City of Saint John, he was advised that they also have this problem in the City and that they do not have anything written in their Subdivision or Building By-laws.
It was moved by Ralph Stevens and seconded by Deputy Mayor Black that the matter be referred to the By-law Review Committee.
7. BUILDING INSPECTOR’S REPORT DATED JUNE 10/98 RE: EXCAVATION PERMIT FOR GRAVEL PIT
The Committee reviewed the Building Inspector’s Recommendations in his Report dated June 10/98 with corrections made to No. 1 and 4. Paul Hobart was invited to the meeting but was not present during the Open Session.
It was moved by Mel Steffens that P.A.C. recommend Council approve the Rehabilitation Plan prepared by Murdoch Lingley Limited dated May 15, 1998, as per Building Inspector’s Report dated June 10, 1998, subject to the following amended conditions:
1. To move the mound of earth westerly off of the 50 ft. setback and extend the length of the mound towards the scale house, as close as possible to the existing drainage ditch between the scales and the mound. Mound will be terraced to meet the 1 1/2 h to 1-v a maximum of 20 feet high, then terraced as per the By-law except that because of the sharp corner the 20 ft. separation between slopes will be decreased to obtain a smooth transition between the sides and ends. Please note that this portion of rehab is slated to be temporary until the majority of the site is to be rehabilitated at which time the grades as proposed on the Rehab Plan dated May 15, 1998 will be followed. Note all grading to be approved by the Building Inspector and completed by August 30, 1998.
2. Area which is currently encroaching in the 50 feet setback and shown on the plan of existing pit area dated May 15, 1998 shall be rehabilitated to the Rehab Plan dated May 15, 1998 in the area bound by the top of the excavation and finish elevation plateau at 115 feet on the Rehab Plan. Work to be completed by October 30, 1998 and approved by the Building Inspector.
3. A snow fence is to be installed along the portion of embankment which exceeds the By-law requirements. Fence installation to be installed by July 30, 1998 and approved by the Building Inspector.
4. Contractor will level and grade the portion from the secondary gate towards the area behind Imperial Oil property. Fill to be added as time allows. Entire grading and sloping not expected to be completed in 1998. Grading which has been done shall be approved by the Building Inspector prior to September 30, 1998. Pipe/culverts/misc. metals/etc. are to be organized and neatly stored by July 30, 1998.
Motion seconded by James Evans. Carried.
8. REQUEST FOR VARIANCE RE: JAMES BANKS – 29 RIDGE WAY
(a) REPORT FROM IRVIN T. BRUHIER DATED JUNE 11/98
A Closed Session discussion was held regarding the above Variance Request to construct an attached two-car garage with family room behind it, 4 feet from the side lot line. The Committee concurred with Mr. Bruhier’s Report.
Mr. Banks was present for discussion during the Closed Session and was given a copy of Mr. Bruhier’s Report for his perusal.
It was moved by John Sabean that P.A.C. deny the Variance Request of 21 feet made by James Banks, 29 Ridge Way for the construction of an attached two-car garage with family room behind it, pursuant to Zoning By-law No. 150. Motion seconded by Deputy Mayor Black. Carried.
9. REPORT FROM IRVIN T. BRUHIER DATED JUNE 5/98 RE: APPLICATION FOR HOME OCCUPATION RANDALL STRUTHERS – 1 WONG WAY
(a) INFORMATION RE 1997 APPLICATION
The Development Officer gave a brief past history of the above application for the benefit of the newest Committee members. It appears that Mr. Struthers is now making application for another Home Occupation to operate a delivery service.
Mr. Struthers was present during the Open Sesion for discussion. He advised the Committee that this would be a person to person delivery business with only one small van parked on his property, with business being conducted by telephone out of his home. He stated that the company does use large trucks but they are kept on a lot in the City. Mr. Struthers also advised that the operation of business would cease at approximately 9:00 p.m. It was stated to Mr. Struthers that although letters were sent out to his adjacent property owners in his prior application, they must be informed once again of this new application.
It was moved by Deputy Mayor Black that letters be sent out to all the adjacent neighbours for their input.
Motion seconded by Ralph Stevens. Carried.
Mr. Struthers was invited back to the July 6, 1998 meeting when the matter will once again be addressed.
10. INFORMATION FOR DISCUSSION RE: VARIANCE/TEMPORARY USE APPLICATIONS (PAC RULES & PROCEDURES)
The Chairman informed the Committee that he has met with the Town Manager and the Development Officer regarding ways to streamline P.A.C.’s procedure. The new procedure recommended would be to have Staff send out letters to the neighbours, a Report done up and a date for the item to be placed on the Agenda prior to the item being addressed by the Committee. This would require a change to the P.A.C. Rules of Procedure.
It was moved by John Sabean and seconded by Mel Steffens that the Development Officer and Town Consultant, Irvin T. Bruhier draft a policy and bring the matter back to the July 6, 1998 P.A.C. meeting.
11. REQUEST FOR VARIANCE RE: BRAD LASKEY – 35 INGLEWOOD ROAD, WESTFIELD
Brad Laskey was present for discussion with regard to his Variance Request for the construction of a garage 17 feet in height, exceeding the allowable limit of 14 feet. Mr. Laskey had on hand detailed plans for the construction of his garage. The committee calculated the required variance at 3 feet 10 inches (3’10”) for an actual height of 17 feet 10 inches (17’10”).
It was moved by Mel Steffens that P.A.C. grant a variance of 4 feet to Brad Laskey, 35 Inglewood Road, Westfield to allow the construction of a garage 18 feet high, pursuant to Westfield Zoning By-law No. 11, Section 14(a). Motion seconded by John Sabean. Carried.
12. (A) APPLICATION FOR REZONING RE: RONALD B. BARRY PROPERTY – WASSON LANE
(B) TENTATIVE SUBDIVISION PLAN DATED JUNE 15/98 RE: RONALD B. BARRY SUBDIVISION LOTS 98-1 TO 98-4, 1 MURRAY ST. & RIVER VALLEY DR.
Ronald Barry and Surveyor Ed DeSaulniers were present for the Open Session. Mr. Barry wishes to rezone a portion of the above property from Commercial to Residential (R2) and then subdivide the property into 4 lots, to be done simultaniously.
It was moved by Ralph Stevens that this item be returned to Staff to prepare a Report for P.A.C. and to direct the property owner accordingly. Motion seconded by Mel Steffens. Carried.
Ralph Stevens moved adjournment at 9:10 p.m.
Laylia Nice, Larry Chapman,