PAC Minutes – March 5, 2007
|1.||CALL TO ORDER|
|The Town of Grand Bay-Westfield Planning Advisory Committee met for a regular meeting on Monday, March 5, 2007 at 8:01 p.m. with Chairman, Ralph Stevens presiding.|
|2.||RECORD OF ATTENDANCE|
|All Members were present.|
|3.||PLANNING ADVISORY COMMITTEE MINUTES OF FEBRUARY 5, 2007|
|“…moved by Mel Steffens to accept as presented the February 5, 2007 Planning Advisory Committee Minutes….”
Seconded by Jim Burke. Carried.
|4.||(A) REGULAR COUNCIL MINUTES OF JANUARY 8, 2007|
|(B) REGULAR COUNCIL MINUTES OF JANUARY 22, 2007
(C) REGULAR COUNCIL MINUTES OF FEBRUARY 12, 2007
“…moved by Cllr. Little to receive and file Regular Council Minutes of January 8, 2007, January 22, 2007 and February 12, 2007….”
Seconded by James Evans. Carried.
|6.||DECLARATION OF CONFILCT OF INTEREST|
|No conflict declared.|
|7.||APPLICATION FOR HOME OCCUPATION RE: DIANE BORMKE –RIVER VALLEY NEWS, 86 GEORGE ST.|
|(A) DEVELOPMENT OFFICER’S REPORT DATED MARCH 1, 2007
(B) LETTER FROM GEORGE STREET RESIDENTS DATED FEBRUARY 28, 2007
Applicant, Diane Bormke was present and advised the Committee of the following:
* She wishes to relocate her business to her home to enjoy more freedom in her later years and to minimize her expenses;
* a 12 ft. x 12 ft. room in her home will be utilized as her office;
* her home office will consist of 2 computers, telephone and a fax machine;
* she anticipates only one to three clients a day to visit her office;
* a large van will deliver papers to her office twice a month;
* for signage, a carved stone is placed near her front door indicating her business;
* although not always visible, there are a number of Home Occupations being conducted within the Town.
There was no one else present speaking in favor of this Application.
The following George Street residents were present speaking against this Application.
David & Claudette London – 75 George Street
* Mrs. London advised that there is a Covenant in all the Deeds for properties in the subdivision restricting “businesses of any description”, as per Schedule “B”, Subdivision Restrictions, a copy of which was attached to the George Street Residents letter;
* she also stated that as there are no sidewalks on this street, and increased traffic could pose a danger to children;
* Mr. London questioned how this business could be allowed as it goes against what is written in the Deed.
James & Jean Harper – 47 George Street
* Mr. Harper is also concerned about the narrow street and the increase in traffic generated by this Home Occupation could be a danger to the children; * if this is approved, it would open up the door to other home businesses in the area;
* as this is a Residential Zone not Commercial Zone, how does one go about changing the Town’s By-law to restrict this from happening further?
* Mrs. Harper had concerns as to signage.
Raymond Vautour – 99 George Street
* Questioned why the residents were not informed until after renovations were done to Mrs. Bormke’s home.
The Committee addressed the residents’ concerns as follows:
* the Town is proposing upgrades to George Street with new paving for the western section of the street in 2007 and strom water sewer upgrades in 2008;
* this type of Home Occupation is permitted under the Municipality Act as a designated use of land or buildings which is subject to conditions stated in the Zoning By-law;
* a Town By-law does not change what is written in a Deed; Covenants in a Deed may in fact be more restrictive than the Municipal By-laws.
* in order to make a request for a change to a Town By-law, a letter must be written to Council for their consideration;
* with regard to signage, the requirements as to what is permitted is stated in the Town’s Zoning By-law;
* residents were notified of the proposed change in use as soon as the Application for Home Occupation was made.
“…moved by Ron Daigle that the Planning Advisory Committee approve the request for a Home Occupation to operate River Valley News, as conforming to Section 5.4 of the Town’s Zoning By-law, Town of Grand Bay-Westfield By-law No. 101, located at 83 George Street, PID Nos. 30024863 & 30165909….”
Seconded by Jim Burke. Carried.
|“…moved by Jim Burke to adjourn at 8:30 p.m.
Seconded by Ron Daigle. Carried.