PAC Minutes – May 4, 1998
The regular meeting of the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield Planning Advisory Committee was held Monday, May 4, 1998 at 7:00 p.m. in Room “A”. Chairman, Larry Chapman called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
1. RECORD OF ATTENDANCE
All members were present. Acting Development Officer, Bruce Gault was also in attendance.
2. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD P.A.C. MINUTES OF APRIL 20/98
It was moved by Deputy Mayor Black and seconded by John Sabean to accept as presented the April 20, 1998 Grand Bay-Westfield P.A.C. Minutes.
3. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD COUNCIL MINUTES OF APRIL 14/98
It was moved by Ralph Stevens and seconded by James Evans to receive and file the April 14, 1998 Grand Bay-Westfield Council Minutes.
4. CHAIRMAN’S REMARKS
Chairman, Larry Chapman requested that in the future, members make reference to the appropriate section of the by-law when making motions.
5. DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST
No conflict declared.
6. LETTER DATED APRIL 24/98 FROM U.C.W., WESTFIELD UNITED CHURCH RE: PERMISSION TO ERECT A SIGN
The Secretary informed the Committee that no member of the Westfield United Church Women (U.C.W.) was able to attend the meeting regarding their request to erect signs advertising events for June 6th and June 19th.
The Development Officer referred to the Westfield Zoning By-law No. 11, Section 41 3(b)(1) pertaining to signs. The Committee discussed terms and conditions regarding the placement, size and duration of the sign.
It was moved by John Sabean that P.A.C. grant permission to the United Church Women of Westfield United Church to erect a sign, subject to the following conditions:
1. sign not to be illuminated or florescent;
2. sign to be placed a minimum of twenty (20) feet from the edge of the traveled portion of the roadway;
3. sign to be erected for a maximum period of 10 days before and 3 days after June 6th and June 19th;
4. the exact location of the sign subject to prior approval of the Development Officer.
Furthermore, that a Variance be granted allowing the signs to be forty-three (43) square feet, with a maximum height of six and a half (6 1/2) feet, in lieu of the six (6) square feet allowed, pursuant to Westfield Zoning By-law No. 11, Section 41, sub-section 3 (b)(1).
Motion seconded by Mel Steffens. Motion carried.
7. LETTER TO CLERK MANAGER DATED APRIL 23/98 FROM BRIAN JOHNSTON RE: APPLICATION FOR ZONING BY-LAW AMENDMENT – 22 THOMPSON ROAD
Brian Johnston was invited but did not attend the Open Session of the meeting for discussion.
It was moved by Mel Steffens that P.A.C. contact the surrounding property owners for their input and that a Staff Report be made available for the next meeting. Motion seconded by James Evans. Motion carried with one (1) Nay Vote.
8. BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION RE: JOE YOUNG – 495 RIVER VALLEY DRIVE
A Closed Session discussion was held on the above Application made by Joe Young of 495 River Valley Drive for the location of a 21¢ above ground pool and enclosed 5¢ picket fence.
Joe Young was present at 8:00 p.m. for the Open Session and handed to the Chairman, a letter dated May 8, 1998 from Sue Shaw of 7 Lakeview Road, Mr. Young’s neighbouring property owner, stating she is in agreement of Mr. Young erecting his fence on her retaining wall, which is located on her property.
The Committee stated their concerns to Mr. Young with regard to the placement of the fence so near the pool, and also the fact that both he and Ms. Shaw would be liable in the event of a mishap, not to mention the possibility of Ms. Shaw selling the property and the new owner not being in agreement. Mr. Young stated that he fully understood and should that happen, he would take the fence and pool down.
Upon reviewing Mr. Young’s proposal with him, it was suggested that he place the pool 3¢ and not 6¢ from the house, leaving a distance of 5¢ and not 2¢ between the fence and the pool. Mr. Young was in agreement to this.
It was moved by Phillip Kelly that the Variance Request made by Joe Young of 495 River Valley Drive for a three (3) foot variance to locate a pool on the west side of his property be denied.
- Furthermore, that a variance be granted to construct a wood fence within the two (2) foot setback, subject to both Mr. Young and Sue Shaw of 7 Lakeview Road signing a Building Permit Application Form.
- A five (5) foot variance be granted for the construction of a free standing deck (as part of the pool structure) on the western side of the property.
- The edge of the pool not be closer than five (5) feet of the western property line.
- Mr. Young/Property Owner is ultimately responsible to keep the pool enclosed, pursuant to Grand Bay Zoning By-law No. 150, Section 74.
Motion seconded by Ralph Stevens. Motion carried with one (1) Nay Vote.
Mr. Young was advised to submit a new sketch to the Development Officer.
9. INFORMATION FROM FEDERATION OF CANADIAN MUNICIPALITIES RE: AMENDMENTS TO FEDERAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT
It was moved by Phillip Kelly and seconded by Ralph Stevens to receive and file the above information. Motion carried.
Phillip Kelly moved adjournment at 9:05 p.m.
Laylia Nice, Larry Chapman,