PAC Minutes – September 21, 1998
The regular meeting of the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield Planning Advisory Committee was held Monday, September 21, 1998 at 7:00 p.m. in Room “A”. Chairman, Larry Chapman called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
1. RECORD OF ATTENDANCE
All members were present with the exception of Mel Steffens.
2. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD P.A.C. MINUTES OF SEPTEMBER 8, 1998
It was moved by Deputy Mayor Black and seconded by John Sabean to accept as presented the September 8, 1998 Grand Bay-Westfield P.A.C. Minutes.
3. GRAND BAY-WESTFIELD COUNCIL MINUTES OF AUGUST 10, 1998
It was moved by Ralph Stevens and seconded by James Evans to receive and file the August 10, 1998 Grand Bay-Westfield Council Minutes.
4. CHAIRMAN’S REMARKS
Chairman, Larry Chapman requested the following item be added to the Agenda: Re: Valley View Estates Subdivision, Phase 9, Stage 1.
It was moved by Ralph Stevens and seconded by Philip Kelly to add the above item to the Agenda as Item No. 9.
Deputy Mayor Black advised that the Town Manager has requested that the Committee take into consideration the matter of drainage when approving subdivisions.
5. DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST
John Sabean declared conflict of interest on Item No. 8
6. ITEM TABLED SEPTEMBER8,1998 RE: REQUEST FOR VARIANCE ALBERT COOZE. 12 WOOLASTOOK DR.
The Development Officer informed the Committee that he received two telephone calls from the surrounding property owners stating no objection to the above Request for Variance.
The Committee had the following concerns:
- type of foundation and skirting
- placement of the structure
- set back
Mr. Cooze was present during the Open Session and informed the Committee that he plans to use railroad ties and then a form of skirting, i.e. lattice or siding. He advised that he will place the structure with the doors facing Woolastook Drive, two feet from the property line, as per P.A.C.’s recommendation, and not on the property line as originally proposed.
It was moved by John Sabean that P.A.C. grant a Variance to Albert Cooze, 12 Woolastook Drive to permit the placement of a storage shed/garage subject to the following:
the storage shed/garage to be located a minimum of 0.6 meters (2 feet) from the northern side property line, subject to the shed’s roof does not extend into that side yard set back more than 0.3 meters (1 foot);
- the shed to be located a minimum of 0.6 meters (2 feet), subject to the roof overhang not to encroach on the municipal right-of-way;
- a skirt be placed around the bottom of the building to hide the railroad ties;
- the building be situated so that the doors face Woolstook Drive.
Motion seconded by Deputy Mayor Black. Carried.
7. ITEM TABLED SEPTEMBER 8, 1998 RE: APPLICATION FOR REZONING/MUNICIPAL PLAN AMENDMENT, DONALD G. MYLES – 15 THOMPSON ROAD
(A) REPORT FROM IRVIN T. BRUHIER OF SEPTEMBER 4, 1998
A discussion was held in Closed Session regarding the above Application for Rezoning/Municipal Plan Amendment from Low Density (Residential) to Commercial at property located at 15 Thompson Road. One letter was received from a surrounding property owner stating no objection to the above Proposal.
Mr. and Mrs. Donald Myles were present during the Open Session of the meeting. John Sabean left the head table and abstained from any discussion.
Mr. Myles presented to the Committee his proposal along with a rough Land Use Sketch. The Chairman advised him that the property would have to be rezoned under a Section 39 with terms and conditions and that a more detailed sketch would be required showing the boundary lines between the Commercial and Residential Zones, depicting how much room would be left on the east side for the driveway to the home
Also present was surrounding property owner, John Belyea of 8 Thompson Road. Mr. Belyea had the following concerns:
- If the trailer now on the property would be remaining once this proposal goes through;
- Fencing to be placed around the Commercial property, other than chain link.
- Consideration be given to the surrounding property owners who are zoned Residential.
Mr. Myles advised Mr. Belyea that the trailer will be removed and that an appropriate fence could be erected.
It was moved by Deputy Mayor Black that P.A.C. request Mr. Bruhier meet with Mr. and Mrs. Myles to discuss the details of the proposed Land Use and also go over the Section 39 as to what the terms and conditions should be, as seen by Mr. and Mrs. Myles. Furthermore, request a Report from Mr. Bruhier, along with a Draft Section 39. Also, request input from the Development Officer and Fire Department. Motion seconded by Ralph Stevens. Carried
The matter is to be Tabled to the first meeting in November, at the request of Mr. and Mrs. Myles, as they will be away. Also, Mr. Bruhier is to be informed of Mr. Belyea’s concerns.
8. REPORT FROM DEVELOPMENT OFFICER DATED AUGUST 27, 1998 RE: REQUEST FOR VARIANCE JOHN WALSH – 8 READY STREET
(A) ONE LETTER RECEIVED FROM NEIGHBOUR
A Closed Session discussion was held regarding the above Request for Variance to construct an above ground pool with an attached pool enclosure. The Committee had concerns regarding the stairs at the end of the deck.
John Walsh was present during the Open Session and advised the Committee that the pool will be two feet from the deck and that there will be a gate on top of the deck and that he plans to remove the existing stairs from the ground to the deck.
It was moved by Philip Kelly that the Request for variance be granted to John Walsh, 8 Ready Street to permit an above ground pool be equipped with an attached closure six feet four inches (6’4”) from ground level to top of enclosure, subject to the following:
- nothing is located within 1.25 meters (4 feet) of the pool which would facilitate climbing;
- there is no entrance to the pool other than through the dwelling;
- the stairs be removed from the end of the deck to the ground;
- a gate be placed at the top of the stairs from the pool to the deck to be self latching.
Motion seconded by James Evans. Carried.
9. ITEM TABLED SEPTEMBER 8, 1998 MEETING REQUEST FOR VARIANCE RE: CHARLES CLARK – 7 ALDER ROAD
(A) DEVELOPMENT OFFICER’S REPORT OF SEPTEMBER 17, 1998
One letter was received from a surrounding property owner stating no objection to Mr. Clark’s Request for Variance to construct a detached garage measuring 24 ft. x 30 ft., 17 feet from the street line. The Committee had concerns regarding the time limit concerning the siding of the garage.
Mr. Clark was present during the Open Session and informed the Committee that he plans to construct the garage this fall and then side it between one and a half to two years later, as he plans to side his home and garage at the same time. The Committee advised Mr. Clark that this was not an acceptable time frame and that should the Committee grant the Variance requested, a condition would be attached regarding when the garage is to be sided.
It was moved by Philip Kelly that the Request for Variance made by Charles Clark, 7 Alder Road to construct a detached garage 24 feet x 30 feet as proposed subject to the following:
- the detached garage to be located within the 25 foot set back by 8 feet, 17 feet from the street line;
- the building to be a maximum of 15 feet in height;
- the exterior siding of the building to be completed within 90 days of start of construction.
Motion seconded by John Sabean. Motion carried with one nay vote.
10. VALLEY VIEW ESTATES SUBDIVISION PHASE 9, STAGE 1
It was moved by Ralph Stevens that this matter be Tabled and request a Report from Staff.
Motion seconded by James Evans. Carried.
Ralph Stevens moved 9:15 p.m.
Laylia Nice, Larry Chapman,